Caring for elderly involves lot of work and continued assessment of the needs of an aging person. But with the vast options available in terms of elderly care, choosing the best option is a lot trickier than you might have anticipated. Below are some of your best choices and assessment for each option.
This particular elderly care facility provides services from skilled nurses who are trained to provide quality medical care for elderly individuals who need close medical attention. It can either be associated with a hospital or serve as a standalone facility.
• Nursing homes are staffed with professional health and nursing care providers willing to provide assistance and service 24 hours a day.
• They can meet other seniors and create a sense of community.
• It is highly regulated by law to ensure the safety and well-being of all nursing care elder participants.
• Handing over the caring duties of your elderly parents to a nursing home can be quite expensive.
• For elderly individuals who are suffering from illnesses that result to them becoming bed-ridden, the inability to interact with other adult participants and being away from family can produce a feeling of isolation.
• Elderly participants are required to adapt to the new living conditions structured within the facility.
This is similar to senior housing wherein aside from shelter, health and personal care services are also provided. It has a more independent living structure than most nursing homes, which is why most families of elderly patients opt for this one.
• Living arrangements are designed specifically to suit the needs of an elder.
• There is someone to keep an eye on them at all times.
• Sense of community
• You still have to take care of the shopping and meal preparation for your elderly loved one.
• Warden are not solely responsible for the care and supervision of the participants.
Adult Day Care Center
This particular facility is non-residential as opposed to the ones listed above. Instead, it only allows companionship and elderly care during the day, when most of the elderly individual’s family members are away from home either for work or school. Senior caregivers provide social or health services for participants and costs are comparably cheaper than other facilities since services are limited.
• Staffs are trained nurses or caregivers.
• You can still attend to your day job while you are ensured of the day care for your elderly parents.
• Several options for services, whether social, health, or therapeutic, according to the needs of the elder.
• Elderly individuals might feel neglected and abandoned whenever left off by family members at the center each day.
• Some adult day care centers do not provide individualized treatment for each elderly participant.
This option provides medical care right at the home of the elder. This is one of the more common options that families caring for elderly are choosing because it allows them to closely monitor the condition of the elderly loved one.
• You are assured that only quality service and care are provided for your aging parents.
• It provides an opportunity to nurture your relationship with family member and the elderly loved one.
• It entails a lot of work, especially for the elderly care provider.
• It often results to the caregiver suffering from illnesses or emotional struggles due to the immense responsibility involved with elderly care at home.
• It is a financial burden given the costs needed to fund all the expenses involved in taking care of elderly at home.
Welcome to my blog about home and family. This blog is a place where I will share my thoughts, ideas, and experiences related to these important topics. I am a stay-at-home mom with two young children. I hope you enjoy reading it! and may find some helpful tips and ideas that will make your home and family life even better!